Saturday, April 5, 2008

WE ARE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we have made it home safe and sound. Actually, we have been home for 2 and a half days now but this is the first chance I have gotten to get on here. German was so excited to come to the US until we had to get in line at the airport. He threw a tantrum. I don't know why but I am guessing he got scared. Once that was over, he was fine until we started to descend to Atlanta. His ears hurt really bad. I tried to give him gum and at first, he wouldn't take it but then he did. I tried rubbing his ears and that seemed to help a little. I think we actually had a bonding moment there. THe second flight went much better because he fell asleep before we even left the ground and didn't wake up until we were already in the descent. He did really good with the 2 hour drive home.

I couldn't wait to show him his new house and room. Well, German was more excited about the dog. He loves Angel. The first night, he kept calling Angel to come sleep with him. She did for a little while and then went to her normal sleeping spot with Tiffany. Tiffany was a bit jealous at first because Angel went to German. On Thursday, German and I slept in late. John picked us up after lunch so we could go register him with the military and get his insurance started.

Of course, all the paperwork we had was in Spanish so we had to get his birth certificate translated into English before they would allow us to register him. After that, we went to the hospital to get him enrolled in the healthcare system. We then made an appt with pediatrics. Since German had an infection when we met him, we wanted to make sure it was cleared up. Well, they did his physical, lab work and started his immunizations right away. I was so worried. He had only been here 2 days and had to go through this. German was a real trooper. He laughed during his bloodwork. They had someone there who could speak Spanish and that helped him a lot. The immunizations was a different story. They gave him 5 shots and he still isn't done. Since we didn't have any medical records on him, he has to get everything. We thought we would be really mad at us but they gave him some lollipops and he walked out of there with a huge smile.

Friday night, we went to eat and to the store. He was really excited. We let him pick out 2 toys at the store and he was happy. German does like to touch everything though and then he will say "WOWWWWWWW!" really loud. We know it is just because he hasn't been exposed to the things we have. I hope we are not putting too much on him yet. This weekend, we are just relaxing and playing at home. Tiffany is sick so she has been in bed all day. Tonight we are going to try family night. Our tradition had been that every Friday, we would order pizza and watch a movie. Since we didn't do it last night, we are going to try it tonight. I am hoping to give him one more week home with me before I have to register him for school. He wants to go because he sees Tiffany going and yesterday, we picked her up from the bus stop.

I have so much to do before I go back to work and he has to start school but I can't find the motivation to do it. I just want to spend time with him playing and doing what ever. I want to give him a chance to be a kid and get used to our family. Well, I will write again in a few days to let you all know how it's been going.

1 comment:

janine said...

Welcome home! I hope everything continues to goes smoothly for all of you!

My daughter had to get 6 shots on her first visit . . . not fun! She had few medical records, and the only shots she did have in Colombia were "incomplete" according to U.S. standards (I think it was only 2 aspects of the MMR shot or something).

I'm anxious to hear how the transition to school is for German!

You are a wonderful family and your kids are a blessing, eh?